[CCSM-Ocean] Invitation to participate on AMS session on Marine Aerosols

Barbara Ballard bballard at ucar.edu
Tue Jul 1 08:31:12 MDT 2014

 Dear Colleague,

 It is possible that you will receive this announcement from multiple
sources.  We apologize for this inconvenience. If you manage a group, or
relevant mailing list, we would appreciate your help by forwarding the
announcement appropriately. Thanks!

 We would like to draw your attention to a session at the 95th AMS annual
meeting
<http://annual.ametsoc.org/2015/index.cfm/programs-and-events/conferences-and-symposia/19th-conference-on-air-sea-interaction/>in
the joint 17th Atmospheric Chemistry conference and 19th Conference on
Air-Sea Interactions. Here is the session abstract:

 ——————————————
 *Marine Aerosols: Sources, Chemistry, Clouds and Climate*

 Many recent studies have focused on characterizing anthropogenic aerosols,
their contributions to radiative forcing, and subsequent impacts on
climate. However, estimates of anthropogenic aerosol forcing, and
ultimately the climate response to that forcing are also very sensitive to
the amount and physical properties of natural background aerosols, which
modulate (and in some cases may amplify) signatures from anthropogenic
emissions.

 Marine aerosols play a very important role in the natural aerosol system
but there are many remaining uncertainties about the processes that produce
them, and influence their size and composition. Improved quantification is
needed to better understand their role in climate, and in modulating past,
present and future anthropogenic effects.

 This session invites contributions in the general areas of (1) Field
experiments and laboratory studies of sea spray particle production as well
as physical and chemical characterization of aerosols and trace gases in
marine environment; (2) Modeling studies on local, regional, and global
scales; (3) Remote sensing of aerosol and cloud properties over the oceans.
 ——————————————

 Our invited speakers for the session are Kimi Kawamura (U. Hokkaido) and
Susannah Burrows (PNNL)

 The meeting will take place 4-8 January 2015 in Phoenix, Arizona. The
deadline for abstract submission is 1 August 2014.  The conference web site
can be accessed here
http://annual.ametsoc.org/2015/index.cfm/programs-and-events/conferences-and-symposia/19th-conference-on-air-sea-interaction/.
<http://annual.ametsoc.org/2015/index.cfm/programs-and-events/conferences-and-symposia/19th-conference-on-air-sea-interaction/>
We encourage you to submit an abstract to our session, and look forward to
an exciting meeting in Phoenix.

 Please contact us if you have any questions:

  Phil Rasch (Phil’s Email
<http://www.pnl.gov/contacts/staffinfo.asp?uid=F3A6D0710EBBBE46B1BF55FF84C38221>
)
Nicholas Meskhidze (nmeskhidze at ncsu.edu)