[CESM2Control] Removing REFCASEs for CESM2.2

Bill Sacks sacks at ucar.edu
Mon Dec 17 11:47:05 MST 2018

Hi all,

In the CESM2.2 development code base, we plan to remove the use of
REFCASEs for the time being. So B and F compsets will be startup runs by
default, using the default out-of-the-box initial conditions for each
component. As we near release of CESM2.2, we will return to using
REFCASEs for whatever configurations will be scientifically supported in
that release. (Recall that we have had the same progression in the past
for other development versions.) The reason for this is that it can be
hard to maintain compatibility between REFCASEs and an evolving code
base, especially for CLM.

This change will have NO impact on the CESM2.1 series used for CMIP6.

Please let me know if you have major concerns about this.

Thank you,
Bill