[CF-metadata] [Fwd: representing multiple nests]

John Caron caron at unidata.ucar.edu
Fri Aug 5 17:18:11 MDT 2005

Any ideas for nested grids?

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	representing multiple nests
Date: 	Fri, 5 Aug 2005 16:11:05 -0700
From: 	Ramesh_S_Mantri <mantri at csc-monterey.com>
To: 	support-netcdf-java at unidata.ucar.edu,
support-decoders at unidata.ucar.edu, support-thredds at unidata.ucar.edu
CC: 	caron at unidata.ucar.edu, rkambic at unidata.ucar.edu

Dear All,
   as some might be aware, quite often models produce data over a
geographical region in multiple nests, typically with resolution
increasing from outer to inner nests.

COAMPS represents nests and their geometry in a data header file.
I was told that GRIB-1 uses standard tables and pointers to represent
nests and that GRIB-2 has an improved scheme (I'll need to look into
it later).

I have 2 questions:
1) Is there any standarad (or accepted) mechanism for representing
    nests in a NetCDF file? I have looked at CF conventions and it appears
    to me that it is possible to represent multiple fields (as separate
    variables), but there doesn't appear a way to represent multiple
    nests. I would appreciate if you could suggest a solution.

2) Does your GRIB-1 decoder write out nesting information in NetCDF
     in any manner?

This issue is important to us since consumers of data sometimes are
interested in nesting information. Thanks in advance.
sincerely,
Ramesh