[CF-metadata] Proposed Standard Names

Nan Galbraith ngalbraith at whoi.edu
Tue Jul 26 10:52:15 MDT 2005

Roy Lowry wrote:

> Besides my expected general concern of increasing the overlap of the CF
> standard names into the domain of observational oceanography further
> increasing future interoperability problems (requiring more
> mapping/ontology
> building work), ...

I don't see this as a problem. For those of us using CF, we need a complete
vocabulary. We can map it to other vocabs, but it needs to work as a
stand-alone
vocabulary anyway. Interspersing BODC and CF names is just not practical,
and does not efficiently use the strength of NetCDF.

> platform_heading needs clarification.  If the platform is a ship,
> heading can
> either be interpreted as the direction towards which the bow is
> pointing or the
> direction towards which the ship is travelling (very different if
> going backwards!).

In every case I've encountered, heading means "pointing towards" and COG,
or course,  means "moving towards."

> The optics parameters do not include any information on the light
> wavelength to which they pertain.

Would this be addressed with an attribute?

Cheers -
Nan