[CF-metadata] mixed layer depth

Jonathan Gregory j.m.gregory at reading.ac.uk
Mon Nov 28 02:25:49 MST 2005

Dear Tony

Bryan Lawrence has pointed out that these quantities should not have different
standard names if they are really the same quantity diagnosed by different
methods. I think they are truly different quantities and so do need different
standard names. Therefore instead of

>   ocean_mixed_layer_thickness_diagnosed_from_mixing_scheme
>   ocean_mixed_layer_thickness_diagnosed_from_temperature
>   ocean_mixed_layer_thickness_diagnosed_from_sigma_t
>   ocean_mixed_layer_thickness_diagnosed_from_sigma_theta

perhaps another phrase e.g. according_to or defined_by would be a better choice
than diagnosed_from. What do you think?

Cheers

Jonathan