[CF-metadata] Putting cf to work?

Schultz, Martin m.schultz at fz-juelich.de
Fri Apr 4 02:13:25 MDT 2008

Dear all,

    I am in the process of developing some analysis tools for the HTAP model experiments in IDL and have reached a stage where I would like to bring the (netcdf) output files to CF standard. What clearly helps in this respect is the compliance synthesis document (although I won't have time to implement all of these checks and rules). Now I would like to make use of the standard_name XML file in order to find out the appropriate names and units for the variables I find. IDL appears to offer some good tools to parse XML files, so there would be no need of rewriting that into some other format. However, I don't see how I can efficiently map our HTAP variable names onto the standard_name table. I saw that several of the entries contain an <amip> tag which presumably denotes the variable name in the AMIP convention. Would it be possible to also add an <htap> tag into these tables? Would something like this survive future updates of the standard_name tables?  More generally: how are the XML files maintained and is it possible to add extra attributes?

    On the web I also saw the HTML table "Mappings to other parameter tables - PCMDI standard variable names" : Again - shouldn't this be incorporated into the XML file via a <pcmdi> tag? If there is a limited set of standard variable names (basically coming from large international intercomparison projects -- and these would likely converge over time, hopefuly), then having these extra tags in the XML file would create a "1-stop-shop" for standard names and really allow applications to make use of them without having to go through extra efforts of copying and pasting relevant entries for specific projects.

Best regards,

Martin

< Dr. Martin G. Schultz, ICG-2, Forschungszentrum Jülich  >
< D-52425 Jülich, Germany                                 >
< ph: +49 (0)2461 61 2831, fax: +49 (0)2461 61 8131       >
< email: m.schultz at fz-juelich.de                          >
< web: http://www.fz-juelich.de/icg/icg-2/m_schultz       >

Forschungszentrum Jülich GmbH
52425 Jülich

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Jülich
Vorsitzende des Aufsichtsrats: MinDir'in Bärbel Brumme-Bothe
Geschäftsführung: Prof. Dr. Achim Bachem (Vorsitzender),
Dr. Ulrich Krafft (stellv. Vorsitzender), Prof. Dr. Harald Bolt,
Dr. Sebastian M. Schmidt