[CF-metadata] CF standard names for chemical constituents?and aerosols (resulting from a GRIB2 p

Jonathan Gregory j.m.gregory at reading.ac.uk
Fri Oct 10 01:42:04 MDT 2008

Dear Heinke and Roy

Recognising that a common concept would be valuable to combine the constituent
name and the concept description implies, I think, that it is more convenient
to keep them together. Although I agree that in principle the current method
could lead to thousands of names, so far the number of chemical names is not
large and causes no problems. So while I agree we should keep possible
solutions in mind, I do not think we need to solve the problem until it really
threatens us. I feel we should continue with the present approach, which is
more convenient.

Best wishes

Jonathan