[CF-metadata] CF standard names for chemical constituents and aerosols

Jonathan Gregory j.m.gregory at reading.ac.uk
Wed Oct 22 01:12:51 MDT 2008

Dear Philip and Martin

If I understand you correctly, you might both support the introduction of
generalised standard names containing chemical species (something like the
syntax Heinke or I suggested e.g. mass_concentration_of_[VAR]_in_air) so that
the species name could be given in a coordinate with the general form in the
standard name attribute, but you would like to retain the option to have
separate data variables with the species named explicitly in the standard
name attribute (as now).

Cheers

Jonathan