[CF-metadata] medium 'atmosphere'

Jonathan Gregory j.m.gregory at reading.ac.uk
Fri Nov 7 12:49:04 MST 2008

Dear Christiane

> The Guidelines for Construction of CF Standard Names
> http://cf-pcmdi.llnl.gov/documents/cf-standard-names/guidelines
> state for 'atmosphere' under 'Special Phrases':
> 'atmosphere:
> used instead of in_air for quantities which are large-scale rather than
> local '
>
> In addition, 'atmosphere' is not consistently placed:
> tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_<X>_due_to_<process>
> Tendency_of_moles_of_<G>_in_atmosphere

I don't really see the problem with this. We introduced in_atmosphere because
"atmosphere_moles_of_<G>" didn't sound natural. It's just a grammatical rule
for standard names that we use _in_atmosphere in this case instead of the
atmosphere prefix, I would say. There are a lot of names with the atmosphere
prefix and I wouldn't say there's a strong reason for changing it.

Best wishes

Jonathan