[CF-metadata] udunits 1 or 2 for CF?

Andrew Clegg ancl at pml.ac.uk
Wed Mar 3 08:10:43 MST 2010

Hi all,

I'm running into some problems regarding units in CF-compliant files. Up
until now I've been using udunits 1 to check units, but I recently tried
the CF checker which uses udunits2. There are some unit strings which
are valid in one but not the other. In particular, I am dealing with
milligrams per cubic meter. In udunits1, I used 'ukg m^-3', which
udunits2 rejects as invalid. udunits2 accepts 'mg m^-3' (which is much
better!), but udunits1 interprets this as to do with gravity. Because of
this, I can't include a unit string which is generally compatible with
udunits...

I would guess that udunits2 is the preferred option, given that udunits1
is deprecated. Should the CF conventions be updated to specify udunits 2?

Cheers,
Andrew Clegg
Plymouth Marine Laboratory

Plymouth Marine Laboratory

Registered Office:
Prospect Place
The Hoe
Plymouth  PL1 3DH

Website: www.pml.ac.uk
Registered Charity No. 1091222
PML is a company limited by guarantee
registered in England & Wales
company number 4178503

PML is a member of the Plymouth Marine Sciences Partnership
Website: www.pmsp.org.uk
This e-mail, its content and any file attachments are confidential.

If you have received this e-mail in error please do not copy, disclose it to any third party or use the contents or attachments in any way. Please notify the sender by replying to this e-mail or e-mail forinfo at pml.ac.uk and then delete the email without making any copies or using it in any other way.

The content of this message may contain personal views which are not the views of Plymouth Marine Laboratory unless specifically stated.

You are reminded that e-mail communications are not secure and may contain viruses. Plymouth Marine Laboratory accepts no liability for any loss or damage which may be caused by viruses.