[CF-metadata] Explanation of mass_concentration_of_water_vapor_in_air ?

Bruno PIGUET bruno.piguet at meteo.fr
Mon Dec 13 07:52:47 MST 2010

Dear all,

   Is it possible to make suggestion for the small text describing the
names in the CF standard name table ?

   I yes, I would suggest to modify the text describing
mass_concentration_of_water_vapor_in_air.
   The beginning of the sentence is clear, and anybody is able to
understand it ("Mass concentration means mass per unit volume"). But I
think that it may be a valuable addition to write that : "the usual name
of this quantity in Atmospheric Sciences in absolute humidity". I
believe that this would help people searching the standard name table.

Bruno.

References to this definition, if needed :
1) WORLD METEOROLOGICAL ORGANIZATION, INSTRUMENTS AND OBSERVING METHODS
REPORT No. 86 TRAINING MATERIAL ON METROLOGY AND CALIBRATION
http://www.wmo.int/pages/prog/www/IMOP/publications/IOM-19-Synoptic-AWS.pdf
2)
http://nsidc.org/arcticmet/glossary/absolute_humidity.html

--