[CF-metadata] seeking CF name for total water column height

John Graybeal jbgraybeal at mindspring.com
Wed Jan 27 09:41:58 MST 2010

Any particular reason that you are biased for this name representing
only a short-term value?  Seems to me there is equally the need for a
(measured or modeled) value that would be defined exactly the same
way, but without the time qualifiers.

In general, when CF has a measured observable, the name makes no
statement about whether the variable has been measured
instantaneously, or for 1 hour, or for one month.  It's time-neutral.
This has several advantages.

I suggest either the same principle be applied here, or that the
possibility of the longer-time-frame name be accommodated by adding a
qualifier to the name associated with this definition.

John