[CF-metadata] water level with/without datum

olivier lauret olauret at cls.fr
Mon Mar 1 09:07:58 MST 2010

Hi all,

I think the use case sent by Roy is excellent and a little bit misleading at the same time: of course in his situation there is no need each time for a new standard name, if it is the same geophysical quantity that is estimated.

Or as a corollary, if I were Roy, I would put a different CF standard name only if it is a different temperature stored in the dataset.

Surface type (eg ocean, or river) is not always a criteria defining a specific geophysical quantity, it is only some kind of information for data location. Besides this information is also sometimes provided as flag values (like 0=river, 1=ocean etc.) in netCDF files.

Back to the the suite of "sea_surface_height_above_", I would personally  militate for keeping them as they are, and adding new ones for lake+rivers..

Like "lake_surface_height_..", as the first proposal from Jonathan. (And perhaps something in the near future for ice sheets topography too, but it is not the priority now.)

Not because they are considering different surface types, but because they do not represent the same geophysical quantity, they are not processed using the same methods and assumptions (processes scales etc.). In my opinion that makes the difference, and that's why we need them.

And it is possible we do not need them in other situations, like we do not need to apply GRHSST definitions <http://www.ghrsst.org/SST-Definitions.html>  using heights instead of  temperature, do we?

Kind regards

Olivier.