[CF-metadata] a flag variable questions

andrew walsh awalsh at metoc.gov.au
Wed Apr 18 17:09:19 MDT 2012

Hi Jonathon and CF list,

So I guess this would mean we need  a 'coordinates' attribute on an ancilliary
variable
like say the 'temperature_qc_flag' below i.e. ?

dimensions:
 time = 1 ;
 pressure = UNLIMITED ; // (9 currently)
 latitude = 1 ;
 longitude = 1 ;

variables:
 double time(time) ;
double latitude(latitude) ;
double longitude(longitude) ;
double pressure(pressure) ;

 double temperature(pressure) ;
  temperature:_FillValue = -99.99 ;
  temperature:standard_name = "sea_water_temperature" ;
  temperature:units = "degrees_C" ;
  temperature:valid_min = -2 ;
  temperature:valid_max = 40 ;
  temperature:ancillary_variables = "temperature_qc_flag" ;
  temperature:coordinates = "time latitude longitude pressure" ;

 byte temperature_qc_flag(pressure) ;
  temperature_qc_flag:long_name = "quality control flag for temperature (primary
Level 1 flag)" ;
  temperature_qc_flag:standard_name = "sea_water_temperature status_flag" ;
  temperature_qc_flag:quality_control_convention = "IODE qc scheme March 2012" ;
  temperature_qc_flag:valid_min = 1 ;
  temperature_qc_flag:valid_max = 9 ;
  temperature_qc_flag:flag_values = 1b, 2b, 3b, 4b, 9b ;
  temperature_qc_flag:flag_meanings = "good not_evaluated_or_unknown suspect bad
missing" ;
  temperature_qc_flag:coordinates = "time latitude longitude pressure" ;

Andrew