[CF-metadata] Standard_name for cloud-cover by phenomenon

Heiko Klein Heiko.Klein at met.no
Mon May 7 02:29:33 MDT 2012

Dear Jonathan,

I just had a short side-discussion with Eizi, and we settled on 'type',
i.e. we propose the standard names:

high_type_cloud_area_fraction
middle_type_cloud_area_fraction
low_type_cloud_area_fraction

As explanatory text, the one of cloud_area_fraction is a good start, and
then an addition like:

   high type clouds are: Cirrus, Cirrostratus, Cirrocumulus
   middle type clouds are: Altostratus, Altocumulus, Nimbostratus
   low type clouds are: Stratus, Stratocumulus, Cumulus, Cumulonimbus

Best regards,

Heiko