[CF-metadata] standard names for column amounts (atmospheric chemistry)

Cameron-smith, Philip cameronsmith1 at llnl.gov
Wed Dec 19 19:18:38 MST 2012

Hi Andreas,

To propose a new standard name, the burden is initially put on the proposer to:

1) Check to see if a std_name already exists for the desired quantity (http://cf-pcmdi.llnl.gov/documents/cf-standard-names/  I like to use the HTML search capability)
2) If nothing exists, then you should try to figure out an appropriate new std_name.  Sometimes there is an easy pattern to follow, and sometimes not. The webpage above also contains some helpful guidance, but is not complete.
3) Email your list of proposed std_names to this email list, where it will be discussed, and something will ultimately be approved.

You should check out std_names with _in_atmosphere_layer, but that may not be flexible enough for your needs.

For the tropospheric column I think troposphere_mole_content_of_X would best fit with current usage.

I don't know of a current std_name that is an integrated quantity from a level to the tropopause, or surface to some level, so that would require more thought and discussion.

Note that several communities use CF, so std_names may not be obvious to you.

Best wishes,

       Philip

Dr Philip Cameron-Smith, pjc at llnl.gov, Lawrence Livermore National Lab.