[CF-metadata] WG: proposal for two new standard_names and an additional chemical species

beate.geyer at hzg.de beate.geyer at hzg.de
Mon Feb 20 01:29:41 MST 2017

Dear all and especially the cf-metadata crew,

My colleagues and I apply for an expansion of the table of chemical
species (
http://cfconventions.org/Data/cf-standard-names/docs/guidelines.html#id2799094
): methane.

We apply to include partial_pressure_of_methane_in_sea_water (units: Pa)
with following description:
The partial pressure of a dissolved gas in sea water is the partial
pressure in air with which it would be in equilibrium. The partial
pressure of a gaseous constituent of air is the pressure which it alone
would exert with unchanged temperature and number of moles per unit
volume.

The description of
'surface_partial_pressure_of_carbon_dioxide_in_sea_water' includes the
sentence
"Water" means water in all phases, including frozen i.e. ice and snow.
which does not fit in this context – perhaps is an update possible here.

We apply to include the additional standard_name
partial_pressure_of_carbon_dioxide_in_sea_water (units: Pa)
with the description
The partial pressure of a dissolved gas in sea water is the partial
pressure in air with which it would be in equilibrium. The partial
pressure of a gaseous constituent of air is the pressure which it alone
would exert with unchanged temperature and number of moles per unit
volume.

The reason for this applications is the conversion of our measurement data
to cf-conform netCDF.

Thanks in advance for your help,
Beate Geyer

Institut für Küstenforschung

Dr. Beate Geyer
Regionale Atmosphären Modellierung

Telefon :          +49 4152 87-1871
Telefax :          +49 4152 87-41871

Helmholtz-Zentrum Geesthacht
Zentrum für Material- und Küstenforschung GmbH
Max-Planck-Straße 1 I 21502 Geesthacht I Deutschland/Germany

Geschäftsführer/Board of Management: Prof. Dr. Wolfgang Kaysser, Dipl.-Ing. Michael Ganß
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrates/Chairman of the Supervisory Board: Ministerialdirigent Dr. Herbert Zeisel
Amtsgericht Lübeck HRB 285 GE (Register Court)
Internet: http://www.hzg.de