[CF-metadata] Representing statistics in CF

Jon Blower j.d.blower at reading.ac.uk
Sun Apr 23 14:03:28 MDT 2017

Hi all,

I’m sure this question has come up before, but I’m looking for the best way to represent statistical quantities. I have two use cases:

1. Representing the mean and spread of an ensemble of simulations (i.e. boiling down a set of ensemble members to two variables: mean and spread).
2. Representing the variability of a quantity within a time period (e.g. expressing the annual mean plus a measure of the spread of values around the mean).

I assume that (2) is solved by using cell methods on the time axis (e.g. cell_methods = “t: mean” or “t: standard_deviation” etc). Please correct me if I’m wrong!

For (1) should I use a standard name modifier? If so, is there a reason why “mean” and “standard deviation” are not listed as standard name modifiers? “Standard error” is listed, but this is different from standard deviation, and I think that what I will need is probably a standard deviation.

I’m happy to propose new standard name modifiers of course, if this is the right solution.

Many thanks,
Jon