[CF-metadata] [CF Metadata] #154: Machine Readable Standardised Region List

alison.pamment at stfc.ac.uk alison.pamment at stfc.ac.uk
Wed Jul 12 09:39:11 MDT 2017

(Reposting this to the list as I think my previous attempt may have bounced).

Dear Chris,

The standardized region names have been part of the CF-conventions since version 1.0, so this isn't a new list that has just been created. Previously it has only ever been made available as an html document (http://cfconventions.org/Data/cf-standard-names/docs/standardized-region-names.html) and the aim of converting it to XML was purely to provide a more machine readable form of the same list. According to the text at the head of the HTML file, the original list was indeed based on a 2002 version of the NASA GCMD keyword list for locations. I was not part of the CF community at that time, so I don't know why the decision was taken to 'borrow' the list for CF - perhaps it was just to have the document in a convenient place. We added a few new region names at the time of the CMIP5 project, but that is the only time I can remember altering the content.

Personally, I don't have a strong opinion on whether CF should continue to maintain its own list of regions. I think the key considerations would be whether another list is accessible in a convenient format, whether it contains the regions needed by CF users, and how easy/difficult it would be for the CF community to request amendments to such a list if they were needed.

I think there is a need for an XML version of the current region list (hence Martin's proposal in CF trac ticket 154). Perhaps others would like to comment on whether, going forwards, we should continue to maintain that list separately or converge on another standard.

Best wishes,
Alison

------
Alison Pamment                                                       Tel: +44 1235 778065
Centre for Environmental Data Analysis         Email: alison.pamment at stfc.ac.uk
STFC Rutherford Appleton Laboratory
R25, 2.22
Harwell Campus, Didcot, OX11 0QX, U.K.