[CF-metadata] Overlapping vertical bounds

Jim Biard jbiard at cicsnc.org
Fri Mar 3 06:09:33 MST 2017

What makes you think overlapping bounds are illegal?

On 3/2/17 7:20 PM, Manning, Evan M (398B) wrote:

> I have some quantities which are defined on trapezoids in the vertical
> direction.
>
> For example the top trap might be full weight from the top of the
> atmosphere (TOA) to 50 hPa, then we ramp linearly between the first
> and second traps between 50 & 75 hPa, then trap 2 is full weight
> 75-100 hPa, followed by another transition in [100, 125] hPa, etc.
>
> I can’t have a bounds variable with the full extent of each trap like
> [ [0, 75], [50, 125], [100, … because overlap is illegal.
>
> I could have underlap, just giving the intervals where each trap is in
> full force: [ [0, 50], [75, 100], …
>
> Or I could use the midpoints of the transitions: [ [ 0, 62.5], [62.5,
> 112.5], …
>
> I’d prefer to find a standard way to communicate the precise
> situation.  Is there one?
>
>   -- Evan

CICS-NC <http://www.cicsnc.org/> Visit us on
Facebook <http://www.facebook.com/cicsnc> 	*Jim Biard*
*Research Scholar*
Cooperative Institute for Climate and Satellites NC <http://cicsnc.org/>
NOAA National Centers for Environmental Information <http://ncdc.noaa.gov/>
/formerly NOAA’s National Climatic Data Center/
151 Patton Ave, Asheville, NC 28801
e: jbiard at cicsnc.org <mailto:jbiard at cicsnc.org>
o: +1 828 271 4900

/Connect with us on Facebook for climate
<https://www.facebook.com/NOAANCEIclimate> and ocean and geophysics
<https://www.facebook.com/NOAANCEIoceangeo> information, and follow us
on Twitter at @NOAANCEIclimate <https://twitter.com/NOAANCEIclimate> and
@NOAANCEIocngeo <https://twitter.com/NOAANCEIocngeo>. /