[CF-metadata] Geometries in NetCDF Update

Hollis, Dan dan.hollis at metoffice.gov.uk
Tue Mar 14 04:12:32 MDT 2017

Hi Dave et al,

Thanks for all your work on drafting this proposal. I’ve found some of the previous technical discussions re geometries a bit tricky to follow in detail but your latest text and example are nice and clear.

One thought – If I understand correctly, the number of parts per geometry has to be inferred from node_count and part_node_count. For example, the first geometry has two parts because the first element of node_count (10) equals the sum of the first two elements of part_node_count (5 + 5). Why not simply store the part count itself? i.e. instead of:

node_count = 10, 5;

you’d have:

part_count = 2, 1;

The sum of the elements in part_count (i.e. 3, in this example) would need to equal the number of elements in part_node_count and part_type.

Regards,

Dan

Dan Hollis   Climatologist
Met Office   Hadley Centre   FitzRoy Road   Exeter   Devon   EX1 3PB   United Kingdom
Tel: +44 (0)1392 884535   Mob: +44 (0)7342058682   Fax: +44 (0)1392 885681