[CF-metadata] Recording "day of year on which something happens"

Jonathan Gregory j.m.gregory at reading.ac.uk
Fri Mar 24 10:54:09 MDT 2017

Dear Jon et al.

Just on the point of the cell_method of "sum". I understand that this could be
misleading. The two default methods are point for intensive quantities and sum
for extensive quantities. It doesn't literally mean it's a sum necessarily, but
that it applies to the entire extent of the grid cell rather than a point
within it. If this is unbearably confusing, perhaps we should introduce a new
synonym for this cell_method.

Best wishes

Jonathan