[CF-metadata] standard names under ice velocity of water

Chris Barker chris.barker at noaa.gov
Thu Jun 8 17:35:17 MDT 2017

On Wed, Jun 7, 2017 at 11:53 PM, Ute Brönner <Ute.Broenner at sintef.no> wrote:

> This is a citation of the CF standard
> > The surface called "surface" means the lower boundary of the atmosphere.
> "Water" means water in all phases, including frozen i.e. ice and snow. A
> velocity is a vector quantity. "Eastward" indicates a vector component
> which is positive when directed eastward (negative westward). < (
> http://cfconventions.org/Data/cf-standard-names/28/
> build/cf-standard-name-table.html)
>
> In our model we distinguish between ice velocity and the water velocity
> under the ice in addition to the (average) water velocity in the upper
> layer. Guess we would be fine if surface_eastward_sea_water_velocity and
> surface_northward_sea_water_velocity would not include ice per definition.

I"d like that too.

unfortunately, someone put ""Water means water in all phases, including
frozen i.e. ice and snow." in that definition at some point -- can we
change it now?

I wonder it was there for a real use case, or if that was a definition of
"water" from elsewhere that got cut&pasted in...

-CHB

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov