[CF-metadata] Standard name for land/sea mask

Jim Biard jbiard at cicsnc.org
Tue Jul 11 07:33:54 MDT 2017

Hi.

Given the prior existence of land_binary_mask, Elodie's request for
sea_binary_mask makes sense. Even given my request below, if Elodie
needs this standard name, I endorse it's addition. I don't want to bog
her down.

I'd like to suggest that we do something slightly more flexible and
create the standard name discrete_mask, which could handle both these
cases. It could also handle numerous other use cases that generally go
without a standard name right now. The definition could be something
like below.

    discrete_mask: A variable with the standard name discrete_mask is
    used to indicate a finite set of discrete, related conditions that
    hold across the dimensional range of the variable. These conditions
    are marked by integer values, each of which indicates a specific
    condition. The particular conditions being indicated are defined
    using flag_values and flag_meanings attributes associated with the
    variable. A single element of the variable can indicate only one
    condition - bit field combinations are not allowed.

I'm thinking this way because in the particular domain Elodie is
referring to, some files have trinary masks, sea = 0, coast = 1, land =
2, different ones define the numbers used to indicate the different
conditions, some cover more cases (fresh water, for example), etc.

I do, on one level, appreciate that it can be nice to see the standard
name on a variable and not need to look further to understand how the
contents are implemented, but I don't think it buys us near as much as
we like to think.

Grace and peace,

Jim

On 7/11/17 3:55 AM, Elodie Fernandez wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I would like to suggest the addition of a new standard_name to
> describe land-sea masks. A standard_name already exists:
> land_binary_mask (
> X_binary_mask has 1 where condition X is met, 0 elsewhere. 1 = land, 0
> = sea.). But in the ocean modelling community, we have already
> existing files describing those masks, but from an "ocean point of
> view", so 1 is for sea and 0 is for land points.
> So I would like to request the addition of the standard_name
> "*sea_binary**_mask*",
> with definition "X_binary_mask has 1 where condition X is met, 0
> elsewhere. 1 = sea, 0 = land" and unit "1".
>
> Best regards,
> Elodie

CICS-NC <http://www.cicsnc.org/> Visit us on
Facebook <http://www.facebook.com/cicsnc> 	*Jim Biard*
*Research Scholar*
Cooperative Institute for Climate and Satellites NC <http://cicsnc.org/>
NOAA National Centers for Environmental Information <http://ncdc.noaa.gov/>
/formerly NOAA’s National Climatic Data Center/
151 Patton Ave, Asheville, NC 28801
e: jbiard at cicsnc.org <mailto:jbiard at cicsnc.org>
o: +1 828 271 4900

/Connect with us on Facebook for climate
<https://www.facebook.com/NOAANCEIclimate> and ocean and geophysics
<https://www.facebook.com/NOAANCEIoceangeo> information, and follow us
on Twitter at @NOAANCEIclimate <https://twitter.com/NOAANCEIclimate> and
@NOAANCEIocngeo <https://twitter.com/NOAANCEIocngeo>. /