[CF-metadata] Use of axis attribute in an auxillary coordinate

David Hassell david.hassell at ncas.ac.uk
Mon Jul 31 02:03:49 MDT 2017

Hello Martin,

This definition was tightened up in ticket #104
<https://cf-trac.llnl.gov/trac/ticket/104>. An arbitrary scalar coordinate
can be either, but not both at the same time. At version 1.7, section 5.7 (
http://cfconventions.org/cf-conventions/cf-conventions.html#scalar-coordinate-variables)
now says:

  "A numeric scalar coordinate variable has the same information content
and can be used in the same contexts as a size one numeric coordinate
variable. Similarly, a string-valued scalar coordinate variable has the
same meaning and purposes as a size one string-valued auxiliary coordinate
variable"

Thanks,

David