[CF-metadata] Clarifying standard names for 'mass_concentration_of_*_dry_aerosol_particles'

Daniel Neumann daniel.neumann at io-warnemuende.de
Tue Aug 15 01:26:09 MDT 2017

Dear Steve,

I agree that standard name "atmosphere_mass_content_*" is not
self-descriptive. It is not clear from its name (but the description
clarifies it!) whether it is the mass content either with respect to a
column with given base area or with respect to the whole atmosphere.

"atmosphere_mass_content_*" seems to be quite established as term in the
CF standard names (200+ by number). I am not sure whether it is
reasonable to change all these names? Which alternative term would you
suggest?

For "mass_concentration_*_in_air" I do not see this problem. The
document, which you linked, points out that one should not use
'concentration of X' because it could be a molar or mass concentration
(or something else). Therefore, the physical quantity in the numerator
should be used as prefix.

Regards,
Daniel

--
Daniel Neumann

Leibniz Institute for Baltic Sea Research Warnemuende
Physical Oceanography and Instrumentation
Seestrasse 15
18119 Rostock
Germany

phone:  +49-381-5197-287