[CF-metadata] Add new integer types to CF?

Chris Barker chris.barker at noaa.gov
Sun Sep 10 16:39:13 MDT 2017

lookslike a good idea.

one thought: maybe toolate now, but:

One byte numeric data should be stored using the byte

or unsigned byte data type. It is possible to treat the byte type as
> unsigned by using the NUG convention of indicating the unsigned range
> using the valid_min, valid_max, or valid_range attributes.

So is there an "unsigned byte" type or not? if so, why bother with the text
about valid-min, etc....?

In my experience, unsigned byte is far more common that signed byte anyway.

(is it too late to call them something like uint8 and int8 ?

-CHB

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov