[CF-metadata] Add new integer types to CF?

Manning, Evan M (398B) Evan.M.Manning at jpl.nasa.gov
Fri Sep 22 11:36:20 MDT 2017

I think the _Unsigned attribute would have been a grand idea before.

But if we’re now allowing explicit unsigned types, what purpose does it serve?

Do I use the _Unsigned = “true” attribute on every ubyte, ushort, and uint variable?  They’re already clearly unsigned according to the type definition.

it would only be useful if I wanted to keep declaring the variables as byte but wanted folks to treat them as ubyte.  This seems perverse.

And would we start putting _Unsigned = “false” on all of our integer variables?  All numeric variables?

Also note that fully supporting the new types means we can have unsigned integer global attributes.  Since attributes can’t have attributes, _Unsigned and valid_ don’t help here.

  -- Evan