[CF-metadata] Observation number

Jim Biard jbiard at cicsnc.org
Tue Oct 31 07:00:31 MDT 2017

Neill,

Lack of a standard name doesn't make the file non-compliant. There's no
minimum set of required attributes. If you follow the conventions in how
you make your observation number coordinate variable, then you are fine,
even if there is no standard name for it.

Grace and peace,

Jim

On 10/31/17 7:36 AM, Bowler, Neill wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I’m very new to this, so please forgive my ignorance.
>
> I’m working on GPSRO data, and once this data has been collated we
> write it to a netCDF file.  The main observation data is written as a
> 2D array with dimensions observation number (1 to n, where n will vary
> from file to file) and height (from 0 to 60km).  The file also
> contains lots of additional data (such as latitude and longitude of
> each observation, the ID of the satellite used, etc).  The integer
> observation number is the only sensible unique dimension that I know of.
>
> My difficulty is that observation number, or something similar, is not
> in the CF standard.  Therefore my files are not CF-compliant, although
> they are in every other respect.  Is there scope for adding something
> like observation number to the standard?
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Neill
>
> Neill Bowler  Expert Scientist - GPSRO & Ensemble Forecasting
> Met Office  FitzRoy Road  Exeter  Devon  EX1 3PB  United Kingdom
> Tel: +44 (0)1392 886449  Fax: +44 (0)1392 885681
> Email: Neill.Bowler at metoffice.gov.uk
> <mailto:Neill.Bowler at metoffice.gov.uk>Website: www.metoffice.gov.uk
> <http://www.metoffice.gov.uk>
>
> http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/research/people/neill-bowler

CICS-NC <http://www.cicsnc.org/> Visit us on
Facebook <http://www.facebook.com/cicsnc> 	*Jim Biard*
*Research Scholar*
Cooperative Institute for Climate and Satellites NC <http://cicsnc.org/>
NOAA National Centers for Environmental Information <http://ncdc.noaa.gov/>
/formerly NOAA’s National Climatic Data Center/
151 Patton Ave, Asheville, NC 28801
e: jbiard at cicsnc.org <mailto:jbiard at cicsnc.org>
o: +1 828 271 4900

/Connect with us on Facebook for climate
<https://www.facebook.com/NOAANCEIclimate> and ocean and geophysics
<https://www.facebook.com/NOAANCEIoceangeo> information, and follow us
on Twitter at @NOAANCEIclimate <https://twitter.com/NOAANCEIclimate> and
@NOAANCEIocngeo <https://twitter.com/NOAANCEIocngeo>. /