[CF-metadata] question about proper cell bounds for ocean_volume_transport_across_line

Matthias Lankhorst mlankhorst at ucsd.edu
Wed Jan 16 12:44:59 MST 2019

Hello,

I have never received a reply to my initial message below... does
anybody have any insights to share now?

Recap: I have a time series of ocean volume transport (given in
Sverdrup) across a line. The line has two end points, and the transport
is computed over a specific depth range. I would like to represent this
in a clever way in a netcdf file with CF conventions.

As far as variables go, I really only have two (happy to add more to
e.g. contain the cell boundaries), and their standard_names are:
   time
   ocean_volume_transport_across_line

I know how to include bounds for the time such that I can show over how
many days my data were averaged.

I suppose I could figure out the depth range by including a single
scalar for depth, with associated bounds, and having a "coordinates"
attribute on my transport that points to the depth. Does this sound
correct?

How about the two section endpoints? And when I have those, how would
the user know which direction across that section is counted positive?

Cheers, Matthias

--

 Dr. Matthias Lankhorst
 Scripps Institution of Oceanography