[Liwg-core] Relevant co-chairs notes

Bill Sacks sacks at ucar.edu
Tue Jan 10 11:05:49 MST 2017

Here are the relevant co-chairs notes from today's meeting. I think we'd need to make a strong and unified argument for GRNL04 at this point if we wanted that over GRNL03. I don't get the sense that there is that sort of unified feeling, so I think CAM will move ahead with GRNL03.

126 vs 125 (Rich & Julio)

126 looks similar to 125 in terms of global metrics (which is what we'd expect)

126 has a ring of high SGH around Greenland. There is cooling over Greenland, which may be responsible for the cooling in the North Atlantic. Feeling is that the Pacific changes are just internal variability.

Precip over Greenland has gone down significantly in 126 (about 100 Gt) relative to 125... and 125 was already drier than 119.

Gokhan: Decreased precip over Greenland could lead to even higher salinity in the nearby ocean. We'll need to keep an eye on this.

126 is the same as GRNL03.

There was also discussion about GRNL04, which goes back to old topography over Greenland. Miren from the land ice group likes GRNL04, but Julio feels it's not worth doing another ad hoc change to get this small improvement – especially given that there are detrimental effects elsewhere in Greenland.