[Liwg-core] Relevant co-chairs notes

Miren Vizcaino M.Vizcaino at tudelft.nl
Wed Jan 11 04:13:21 MST 2017

Hi Jan, and All

sorry to be so persistent: I do not understand Julio, Jan and Marcus when they call “ad hoc change” or “tuning” or “non-defendable” to non-smoothing the mean topography and leave it as it was originally. I’d rather call “tuning” to erase the topographic forcing

with smoothing. My understanding is that it was done to increase winds by reducing friction - not because the topography field was unrealistic -, but please tell me if I am missing something else here.

Also, I disagree that there are detrimental effects. I’ll explain

From eye-balling the last Marcus’ plots, now GRNL03 underestimates precipitation - changes have been very effective, that’s great! - compared with RACMO along the SE margin, and overestimates in the southern interior.

GRL04 puts some of the precip in the margin instead of inland, so it should get us closer to reality?  The metrics to test this would be to calculate the spatial correlation between RACMO-GRNL03/04, and the precipitation gradient with elevation for the southern

dome transect. I think Marcus has the data ready for this - the same as for the aforementioned plots-

In any case GRNL03 is great improvement already, and I will go with the decision that you take today.

Thanks to everybody for your hard work to improve precipitation and your contributions to the discussion, we’ve done excellent progress, Miren