[Liwg-core] Rain-snow repartitioning

Lipscomb, William Henry lipscomb at lanl.gov
Wed Jan 11 15:09:36 MST 2017

Hi Bill S.,

You raise some good questions.  I think the answer to (1) is yes.  We would be exchanging an excess of snow for an excess of rain.  My reasoning would be that it may be better to get the right answer (good SMB) for the wrong reason (excessive rain) than the wrong answer (poor SMB) for a different wrong reason (excessive snow).  Either way, we have too much precip, and we’re tuning to limit the damage.

A subtlety, though, is whether the recently improved precip is causally related to colder temperatures.  If so, then the knobs we’re using to reduce precip are not very effective knobs for reducing SMB.  Do others have thoughts on this?

As for (2), I’d expect that in warmer climates we’ll see more rain.  With modified repartitioning, we'd be starting from a different preindustrial baseline, with the usual caveats about possible differences in climate sensitivity when you have a different baseline.

I haven’t looked at Antarctica.  Maybe Jan and Leo have?

Thanks,

Bill L.