[Liwg-core] My tasks between now and the end of March

Bill Sacks sacks at ucar.edu
Mon Jan 16 16:45:48 MST 2017

Hi all,

I put together this list for Mariana, but thought I should share it with you, too, so that you're aware of my commitments and priorities between now and the end of March. The end of March is significant for two reasons: (1) It is the earliest possible date of a true code freeze - i.e., truly no more code changes can be made after that for CESM2, except for critical bug fixes; and (2) from April - Sept, my time will be nearly entirely committed to another CLM-related project that is very high priority for NCAR; I will only have 20% time for land ice work during that period, nearly all of which I envision being used helping the new land ice hires get up to speed.

Here are my commitments (bold = high priority); times are optimistic, assuming I could minimize distractions / “fires”, and few unforeseen problems arise. Between some time off I need to take in early February for family obligations, meetings I'm attending, and the land ice interviews, I have about 8 weeks of "real" work time between now and the end of March. This gives me almost enough time to do the high priority things (again, with optimistic assumptions), and no time to do lower-priority things.

• ISSM coupling - funded at 50%, but we think we can get support from someone else in CGD, in which case I'd just spend ~ 1 week on this myself

• Dynamic Landunits: 2.5 weeks high priority; 7 weeks total
CN Conservation: 1 week
Handling crop GDD accumulator: 2 days
Gridcell-level balance checks: Biogeophysics: 3 days
Implementation: 1 days
Get it passing: 2 days
Performance of dyn_cnbal_col: 2 days
Gridcell-level balance checks: Biogeochemistry: 1 week
Implementation: 1 day
Get it passing: 1 week
Handling other accumulator variables: 3 days?
Consider handing this to others to look into
Cleanup - e.g., history averaging with transient weights; checking on some other things: 1 week?
Consider handing any important pieces in “checking on some other things” to others to look into
Rework water & energy conservation: 2 weeks?
Pretty important for glacier transitions….

• New TG forcing datasets: 1 week
Modify dlnd
Create forcing datasets

• Bring in CISM2.1 release: 3 days

• Improve usability of having CISM on by default: 2.5 weeks
Make sure we can run a glc_mec case with SGLC [prereq?]: 1 week
Get rid of istice landunit in CLM: always use istice_mec [prereq?]: 2 days
Figure out how to handle single-point / regional resolutions for clm testing [prereq?]: 2 days
Turn CISM on by default, but with ice evolution and two-way feedbacks off by default: 3 days

• Reworked coupling from lnd -> glc: 1 week of my time, 1 week of Mariana’s
Bring Bill Lipscomb’s changes to trunk: 3 days
Average up to a year in the coupler: 7 days - 1 week of Mariana’s time, 2 days of my time

• Misc. CISM stuff: 1 week
python version of CISM build-namelist: 2 days
Fix CISM history time units for post-processing: 2 days
Send topo from cplhist file when running cplhist-forced IG runs: 1 day

• Documentation for CESM2: At least 1 week; likely more
Inline documentation (namelist_definition): 1 day
Land Ice documentation
Contributions to CLM tech note
Contributions to paper Jeremy Fyke is writing on dynamic glaciers in CESM?

Totals:
High priority: 9 weeks
Total: 15 weeks

-----

I’d say I should postpone the following:

• Make sure dynamic landunits works with DV (prognostic dynamic vegetation): 3 days?

• CLM output: 2-d but separated by PFT or glc elevation class: 2 weeks

• Support development of python version of cprnc: 3 days

• Unified Land Model work - I said I’d spend 1-2 weeks on this

• Handle edge cases in CLM-CISM coupling, needed for conservation in 2-way-coupled runs