[Liwg-core] Rain-snow repartitioning

Kampenhout, L. van (Leo) L.vanKampenhout at uu.nl
Wed Jan 18 08:41:52 MST 2017

Hi Miren and Bill,

thank you for your useful comments.

Leo: is your QSNOMELT per grid cell calculated over only-ice-sheet-points or is it average for all land cover? thanks! miren

This is the grid cell average, including all land covers. You’re right, I should remember to add the ice-only diagnostics for the next run.
In the mean time, I've prepared some JJA plots where we can analyse the summer SEB.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/181lj7cdjluu0hn/AADpwiGV5iFLYdUotWRoB3Nsa?dl=0

A few remarks:

- the south Dome has a positive LWdown bias, partly compensated by more outwards radiation. The additional LWnet radiation does not add to melt at all it seems.

- there is a SH deficit, especially in the North, up to 10 W/m2. This is also seen in the SEB time series.

- T2M is generally well simulated I would say, even slightly warm in the West

- albedo does not look bad, however, as the SEB time series shows, the largest bias is in July. There, the changes in bare ice albedo will be important. Also, I should use the ice-sheet-only values for calculating albedo, which I did not have for these runs.

- ground heat flux is generally higher than RACMO. This means that less heat is available for melting. I will look into this a bit more.

Cheers,
Leo