[Liwg-core] Arctic cold bias

Miren Vizcaino M.Vizcaino at tudelft.nl
Thu Jan 26 15:00:17 MST 2017

Dear Dave,

In the LIWG we are struggling with low melt rates in the northern and north-eastern margins of the Greenland ice sheet.

In looking at the climate of #129, we see a JJA cold bias in the north and east of Greenland and surrounding ocean of ~2K.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wqu2n4f6ad5lemb/maps_JJA_b.e20.B1850.f09_g16.pi_control.all.129_liwg_Hmax1m_0019-0021.pdf?dl=0

(page 9, the comparison is with an skillful regional climate model forced with ERA-Interim)

Over the N tundra, it seems like the cold climate prevents CLM from simulating a seasonal snow cover, and the snow thickness steadily increases.

Have you noticed this cold bias within the PCWG and if yes, is there any way to correct it, perhaps in the sea ice simulation?

Thanks,

Miren, Jan and the LIWG -