[Liwg-core] shortwave radiation in ERA Interim forcing for CLM

Kampenhout, L. van (Leo) L.vanKampenhout at uu.nl
Fri Mar 10 01:52:57 MST 2017

Hi all,

I just wanted to let you know that I found the problem to the shortwave down deficit problem, that I noticed in some of my offline, ERA-Interim forced runs a couple of weeks back. It turns out that these runs were not using the ERA forcing at all, instead they erroneously used the old CRU / NCEP / Qian reanalyses data. This dataset has a SW down deficit over Greenland in summertime (see attachment).

The following sensitivity runs are affected:

ig.e20.erai.f09_g16.lw_control
ig.e20.erai.f09_g16.lw_glcLWdown
ig.e20.erai.f09_g16.lw_noDrift
ig.e20.erai.f09_g16.lw_noLWdown
ig.e20.erai.f09_g16.lw_scfglc
ig.erai.f09_g16.223_bcheck
ig.erai.f09_g16.223_control

They are perhaps not meaningless, but results have to taken with a massive grain of salt. Sorry about the confusion , the ERA Interim forcing on Yellowstone appears to be correct (I sampled a few other fields as well).

Cheers,
Leo