[Liwg-core] Feasibility of adding some LIWG-relevant diagnostics to Land diagnostics package?

Lenaerts, J.T.M. (Jan) j.lenaerts at uu.nl
Mon Mar 13 08:46:46 MDT 2017

Hi Alice,

Thanks for your advice I have been looking around for a bit, and we would be most interested in Set 2 and Set 3. I have a couple questions/findings:

1.  For Set 2, we would like to copy most settings but opt for a regional plot for Greenland and Antarctica, and use different observational datasets. This will require to copy the xml variables that are specific for Set 2 (such as LNDDIAG_reg_contour), separately for Greenland and Antarctica. My questions:
- should we define a new set for Greenland and Antarctica, and/or one for each ice sheet separately? I would prefer two separate new sets because the plotting and observational datasets will be different for Greenland and Antarctica, but I don’t know if that is acceptable for you.
- should the observational datasets all be in the same resolution? I see there is a an xml variable that specially asks that but is T42 the common resolution of all the obs datasets? That is no problem for us but will require some regridding prior to using the datasets.

2. For Set 3, we will define two new regions (Greenland and Antarctic ice sheet, those are now defined as land regions but we are only interested in the ice covered areas), and we will have some other variables. Also for this case, my preference is to create a new set based on Set 3 settings. Is that ok for you?

3. What is the best practice to start adapting the scripts? Where are the most recent land diagnostic package scripts located?

All the best,

Jan