[Liwg-core] latest #134 with reset snow thickness simulates N ablation areas

Bill Sacks sacks at ucar.edu
Tue Mar 21 15:16:09 MDT 2017

Hi Miren and others,

Thanks a lot for this.

This sounds promising, but it also sounds like we need a clean experiment to just see the effect of resetting the snow pack. In addition to turning the repartitioning back on, should n_melt be kept at 1 for this?

I'm also wondering if a reset value of 100 mm would have the desired effects, since that was the value that I thought we agreed on. I guess we could use 35 mm, but it seems confusing to have this reset value differ from the cold start value, which is currently set at 100 mm. Should we also switch the cold start value to 35 mm in this case? I'm interested to hear what others think about this – particularly Leo and Jan, who had thoughts in the past about the appropriate snow initial conditions to avoid undesirable heating of soil under snow.

Also: I realized that there could be some subtleties with how exactly we should reset the snow pack. If we decide to move ahead with this solution, I'd like a more detailed description of how this should be done. Specifically: it's not clear to me that just resetting h2osno is enough, because there are a lot of different snow variables, and resetting h2osno without resetting some other variables might cause things to be in an inconsistent state.

Related variables that are integrated across the snow column are int_snow_col, snow_depth_col, and possibly others. And then there are many variables that are stored layer-by-layer for the snow pack. Does anyone know if any of these variables need to be reset for things to be in a consistent state? (From a quick look through the code, it looks like it should be okay not to reset int_snow_col, but I'm not positive of that, and I'm not sure about the other variables.)