[Liwg-core] latest #134 with reset snow thickness simulates N ablation areas

Raymond Sellevold - CITG R.Sellevold-1 at tudelft.nl
Wed Mar 22 08:28:18 MDT 2017

Hi,

Yes, I will also do an experiment with n_melt = 1, to see the effect of resetting the snowpack more clearly.

There have been several experiments by Leo where the snow has been reset to 100mm over the tundra, with the outcome that the snow keeps on growing. The reason seems to be because the total melt in this region is the same as the yearly snowfall and when areas that have a total snowfall of 35mm w.e. between end of melt season and January are initialised with 100mm in January, you end up with more snow than the model is able to melt in the summer, thereby causing the permanent snow cover. The same story applies for the northern ablation areas.

Currently, I have adapted Leo’s method of doing this: h2osno_max is set to 35.0 and I run the model for one day, such that the model itself calculates the snow. I figured this was a better idea then editing the restart files since h2osno is not the only variable related to snow.

Raymond