[Liwg-core] New CLM tag: Major changes to water & energy conservation with transient glacier

Bill Sacks sacks at ucar.edu
Fri Mar 31 16:35:57 MDT 2017

Hi all,

I just made a CLM tag that has been a long time in the making:

https://svn-ccsm-models.cgd.ucar.edu/clm2/trunk_tags/clm4_5_14_r230 <https://svn-ccsm-models.cgd.ucar.edu/clm2/trunk_tags/clm4_5_14_r230>

This makes some moderate fixes to water conservation and MAJOR changes to energy conservation with transient glaciers. Up until now, we had been using code that pre-dated me for the water & energy conservation with transient glaciers. I have gone through this code carefully now, and found quite a few problems, which are fixed in this tag. This changes the dynamic landunit runoff adjustments somewhat, and the dynamic landunit energy adjustments hugely. The previous code had wrong units for the energy adjustments, so we were getting sensible heat fluxes about 6 orders of magnitude too small. The new code generates sensible heat fluxes on the order of ~ 0.1 - 1 W m-2 for glacier transitions, at least in the first few years of a run, when there are substantial transitions.