[Liwg-core] Do we want the Antarctica wetland-glacier fix in the JG-BG spinup?

Bill Sacks sacks at ucar.edu
Tue Dec 4 09:46:07 MST 2018

Hi all,

Kate raised this question to me this morning, and I didn't have an
answer, so I thought I'd see what others think: As many of you know, a
bug was found in the CLM surface dataset, in that Antarctica's ice
shelves are treated as wetlands rather than glaciers. In preindustrial
and present-day climates, this has little impact on the climate, since
the land surfaces are snow covered (although there are some minor
differences due to different physics of the two landcover types).
However, this can still have an impact on how easy it is to do some
analysis of the runs.

So: Do people feel it's worth changing the surface dataset to the fixed
version? In principle this should be straightforward, though it will
probably require some coordination between Kate and Erik to make sure
that the right fixed version is used. This could be worth doing if
people plan to use the JG-BG spinup output for Antarctica-focused
analyses; if not, then my feeling is that it's probably not worth the time.