[Liwg-core] Do we want the Antarctica wetland-glacier fix in the JG-BG spinup?

Bette Otto-Bliesner ottobli at ucar.edu
Tue Dec 4 11:30:47 MST 2018

Hi Bill,

During the WACCM meeting yesterday, my impression is that they might want
to redo the WACCM 1% and 4xCO2 with the bug fixed if the CESM2(CAM6) 1% and
4xCO2 simulations with the bug fixed show a signal in or around Antarctica.

Bette

On Tue, Dec 4, 2018 at 6:05 PM Bill Sacks <sacks at ucar.edu> wrote:

> Thanks for those thoughts, Jeremy.
>
> For what it's worth, the decision at today's co-chairs meeting is that
> we'll use the fixed surface datasets for all configurations starting with
> the CESM2.1.1 code base. This means that even preindustrial and historical
> runs with the CESM2.1.1 code base will use the fixed surface dataset (and
> thus differ slightly from the official CMIP6 runs). However, we will not
> redo any of the already-completed runs (PI-control, historical, or WACCM 1%
> and 4xCO2) with the bug fixed.
>
> Bill
>
> Jeremy Fyke wrote on 12/4/18 10:00 AM:
>
> My two cents: it may be worthwhile to fix this if there is capacity to do so, because if it's not fixed, it could be a barrier to science exploring emergence of significant ~post-2050 Antarctic shelf surface melt in CMIP6/etc. runs..?
>
> Jeremy

[on collaborative leave at University of Leeds until 30 April 2019]

Bette L. Otto-Bliesner
Deputy Director and Senior Scientist
Climate and Global Dynamics Laboratory

1850 Table Mesa Drive