[Liwg-core] starting the new BG/JG on Monday

Katherine Thayer-Calder katec at ucar.edu
Fri Dec 7 09:53:25 MST 2018

Hi Sarah, so we've added a few small things in the background for CESM
support. Erik fixed the problem with not being able to restart past year
9999 and that is in the cism-wrapper tag cism2_1_64, and then I added in
the ability to automatically generate the io files for each build (so would
fix your problem in the previous email chain with trying to generate and
copy the files over separately). That is tested and added in cism2_1_65.
Today I am going to make the final cism-wrapper tag to be used in the JG-BG
simulations, and include the source_cism code to block inception (and
probably the new CLM branch tag, though I'm going to double check with Bill
S about that).

Also, just to be clear, Bill L added his block-inception code over the July
8 hash that was used in the cism wrapper tag cism2_1_63, and previously
used (with source mods) in the JG-BG run. So the testing that has been done
with Bill L's code doesn't include some commits to master from last summer,
like "Modified the basal melting GLP" and "zero out bmlt_float in ice-free
ocean for basal melting GLP". The commits that are not included in Sarah's
testing can be seen on this webpage:
https://github.com/ESCOMP/cism/commits/master and are the changes from July
21 (not included hash 88073c5) through Aug 27 (not included hash a8b1538).
I was under the impression that we do want to include these changes in the
JG-BG (ie, work from the head of CISM master this time), but that is not
specifically what Sarah was testing.

So, let's try to make this clear, do we want to add Bill L's changes to the
head of Master (and include the July-Aug commits listed above)? Or do we
want to use Bill L's changes as he has them now, and as they have been
tested in the last week (not include July-Aug commits)?

Thanks so much,
Kate