[Liwg-core] report on new BG/JG: TOPOGRAPHY NOT UPDATED

Erik Kluzek erik at ucar.edu
Fri Dec 14 10:22:40 MST 2018

Hi Everyone

Glad, you found a resolution for this. I just want to throw out a comment
about using CLM with or without CROP.

BGC-CROP is now considered the standard configuration for CLM, so "normal"
simulations are always run with it. So it's good to do, just because of
that. If you don't turn CROP on, crop area exists, but it's not planted or
harvested, so it acts just like grasslands. So it's not likely to make much
of a difference for the work you are doing where you only care about
glaciers. You could turn it off and save a little bit of CPU time, but
really the thing that would save the most would be to use SP mode
(Satellite Phenology) which uses observed vegetation rather than modeling
it. But, if you want to compare to the standard simulations -- they will
all be done with BGC-CROP, so it depends on how you want to do comparisons
to other simulations being run.

*Erik Kluzek, (CGD at NCAR)*

*National Center for Atmospheric Research*

*Boulder CO, *

*(off) (303)497-1326 (fax) (303)497-1348*

*(skype) ekluzek    (cell) (303)859-0183*

*Pronouns: he/his/him*

*          http://www.cgd.ucar.edu/~erik <http://www.cgd.ucar.edu/~erik>*

*          https://staff.ucar.edu/users/erik
<https://staff.ucar.edu/users/erik>*