[Liwg-core] Strange ablation patterns of downscaled SMB in CMIP6-4xCO2

Miren Vizcaino M.Vizcaino at tudelft.nl
Wed Dec 19 06:58:28 MST 2018

Makes sense, we'll check along this line, thanks, Leo.
Miren

Sent from my iPhone

On 19 Dec 2018, at 10:58, Kampenhout, L. van (Leo) <L.vanKampenhout at uu.nl<mailto:L.vanKampenhout at uu.nl>> wrote:

Hi Raymond,

Thanks for sending the plot! I’ve never seen this happening before.

My guess is that this is grid imprinting from the CAM grid.
The “blob” would be a grid cell where accumulation is low and ablation starts developing.
At the coast there is generally a bit more precip that might hold off the ablation longer.
The elevation corrections that are in place (rain-to-snow conversion, LW and temperature lapse rates) potentially make the problem worse.

Best,
Leo